IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) · Home · Members · Search

Reply to this topic Start new topic
> Returning to the Hobby...., after a five year hiatus...
cisco_245
post Apr 10 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #1
Recognised Drifter
Group Icon

So its been a while since i've posted to this forum and held a pistol type Radio. I've been thinking of coming back to the hobby, I used to have two TA03F's(which was sold here on this forum) and a TT01 that I still have. It's been five years and of course i don't have any idea whats been going on the RC car scene(or for that matter RC drifting scene). Kinda weird posting on the newbie discussion froums again but I just want to know what kind of chassis most of you guys are using nowadays? And the electronics you guys are using? it doesn't have to be top shelf when it comes to electronic's since I'm not planing on joining TC races. I just want to know what works that I can make do of. Last time I was on RC brushless motors was still a new tech and so those Spektrum radios. Are they much affordable now? Does a lot of companies still make parts for the TA03f? Or is it better to move on and get a more up to date chassis? any help will be appreciated. Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------

"Lead Me Not Into Temptation............ I Can Find It Myself".
Go to the top of the page 

+ Quote Post
YokomoRick
post Apr 11 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #2
Rick "Shabba Shabba" Lincoln-Smith - D1rc Pro 07
Group Icon

Welcome back Sisco!

The hobby hasn't moved on a great deal but there have been quite a few changes and advancements!

There are tons of upgrades and even chassis conversions for the TT01 which make it a completely different animal to standard should you fancy.

Brushless is still the way, although size of motor is still region dependant.

LiPo batteries are now getting cheaper and the power output from the very latest ones is insane!

2.4 ghz systems are getting cheaper too. Spektrum themselves do a couple of cheaper options whilst still retaining the spread spektrum technology.

TA03F bits are still available if you know the right places apparently. As i don't use mine (it's a transparent gearcased shelf queen) i can't really comment. Many manufaturers are doing what are now known as "front motor" chassis, although they are still behind the front axle so not as front as the old TA03F! Yokomo, Tamiya, Hot bodies and others are building new chassis to this design but there are a number of conversions out there for other, older chassis.

Myself, i'm using a Yokomo DRB, with a more mid mounted battery than standard using a mod of my own design/thinking. To my knowledge, it's the first in the world! I'm using a 10.5t speed passion brushless motor, Speed passion GT2 ESC and Spektrum DX3R tx. My spare is a Yokomo MR4TC drift package which is bout as far from standard as you can get. Plus she's soon to get a DRB steering setup for that all important lock! It's running the same motor but using a hobywing ESC. The setups are a few years old now and there are newer and supposedly better things out there but i haven't had the need to change anything yet.

Anyhoo, welcome back!

+ Quote Post
cisco_245
post Apr 14 2012, 02:59 AM
Post #3
Recognised Drifter
Group Icon

YokomoRick Thanks for the warm welcome! So i decided to stick with my TT-01 and I know i wont have any problems finding parts for that chassis. But now I got a dilemma in my face, I want a mini but don't know which ones chassis to buy. I want a $wd chassis so Tamiya's M chassis are not going to cut it, so I did my research. I found ABC's Genetic and HPI's Cup racer appealing since I can set it up for drifting as well as grip. Now the question I have in mind is which chassis has a better OEM parts and aftermarket parts support? Does anybody here on the forum owns any of the chassis I mentioned? If you do please tell me your feedback about the chassis you own on both performance(out of the box/ upgraded) and parts support. Once again thanks for taking your time reading and any help will be much appreciated.

--------------------

+ Quote Post
charlottedrifter
post Apr 14 2012, 04:23 AM
Post #4
Touge Drifter
Group Icon

Hpi's cup racer is going to have much more parts support. All the hobby shops in my area carry Hpi parts and most sell cup racers.
Here's a link with stock and upgrade parts
http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPat...acing-Cup-Racer

--------------------
Traxxas E-4tec

+ Quote Post
Rounin
post Jun 9 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #5
New Active Member
Group Icon

Welcome back, I have just come back from a five year hiatus myself, I nearly returned to drifting in 09 when I joined this forum but got into crawling instead but I just can't shake that drift monkey off my shoulder.

This post has been edited by Rounin: Jun 9 2012, 02:55 PM

--------------------
"When the liege lord is put to shame, his vassals will die avenging it."

+ Quote Post
Northwest 4x4
post Jun 9 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #6
Street Drifter
Group Icon

welcome back and hello, I see your a turtle fan Rounin, cisco 245 the tt-01 is great I have two, one is moded out with all alum. and the other with carbon fiber and what not, welcome back by the way, look forward to seeing what you have.

+ Quote Post
cisco_245
post Jun 14 2012, 06:50 AM
Post #7
Recognised Drifter
Group Icon

Thanks guys! Wow I was checking and contemplating of what im going to do with my tt-01 since my last post and saw that Aftermarket parts for the tt-01 has come a long way since i decided to quit the hobby. There's the CS parts, the 60/40 ratio thats similar on what I used to do on my TA03f(goodness i really miss that car) by switching to a smaller pulley on the rear and a lot of other things. So i decide to buy the Eagle drift conversion chassis for the TT-01, does anybody have any experience on this kit? I bought it because its cheaper than getting Square parts. Any tips on setting this chassis up? im kinda rusty.

--------------------

+ Quote Post

Fast Reply Reply to this topic Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

· Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 03:51 PM