Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) · Home · Members · Search

Reply to this topic Start new topic
> first drifter upgrades?
resetpunk
post Jan 29 2011, 01:49 AM
Post #1
New Active Member
Group Icon

ok guys i just ordered the tt01d supra from towerhobbies and i was wondering what are some of the must do upgrades to do first? ive read alot about locker the rear diff my question is should i do that right away or drive it first and then do it later on? are the diffs ball bearings or spyder gears? ive read some about aluminum steering upgrades whats your opinion on those, something about a one way drive or something like that for the front? well anyways im going to go do some more reading up on the tt01s!
Go to the top of the page 

+ Quote Post
Imperium
post Feb 14 2011, 06:46 AM
Post #2
Breaking Loose
Group Icon

i locked the rear diff on mine before ever driving it with an open, its a spider gear style , i jb welded mine, but you can also by a diff locker part or a rear spool, i think a fair few run front one ways but i never have, aluminum parts are good, id say just lock the rear throw some abs on it and get out there practicing

+ Quote Post
sion
post Feb 19 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #3
Amateur Drifter
Group Icon

+1 on the locked diff. That's a must-have. I'd wait until you get going before you do anything else. If it came w/ Tamiya Drifttech tires, those will be good enough to get you through the first wear.

--------------------
TB-03D TT240 MMB-MAX HS-965MG
Lots of shiny blue parts

+ Quote Post
JT
post Feb 20 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #4
★ John Turner - D1RC Pro 01 & Owner / Team HPI-Europe
Group Icon

+ another 1! Lock the rear. If the front is geared too, pack it with a very thick grease. Alloy suspension parts can wear rather quicker than graphite and graphite is stiffer than the cheaper plastic components. Alloy chassis parts are fine though. Take a read through the Tamiya chassis forums here for tips.

--------------------
John Turner, D1RC
Team HPI.Europe

DRIFT ESSEX, the venue for the D1RC Winter Drift Series

+ Quote Post
supercheesy107
post Apr 17 2011, 03:15 AM
Post #5
Street Drifter
Group Icon

My suggestions are that you do and get these stuff
1. Aluminum center drive shaft.
2. Get a brushless motor or get a Tamiya TZ motor your stock esc could handle up to 23 turns so it's fine. But if you could get a novak for your drifter will do badass drifting cool.gif .
3. Replace your type-d tires with hpi t-drift tires worth every dollar :D
4. Get a rear spool for it locking your diff with glue or blu-tack is good but will be annoying because of the mess.
5. And last but not the least get a front one-way when you have the rear diff locked.

--------------------

The first step to failing is trying.

+ Quote Post
supercheesy107
post Apr 17 2011, 06:32 AM
Post #6
Street Drifter
Group Icon

Let me correct myself i had a mistake i was about to buy a TZ but then i read up on the stock esc and it can't handle a 23 turn. So i suggest you just get a TEU-302 BK ESC so you get to buy and use the TZ sorry for the error.

--------------------

The first step to failing is trying.

+ Quote Post
ace004
post Jun 5 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #7
Breaking Loose
Group Icon

Locked diff like everyone said. My aluminum parts made my steering more precise, but if you're just starting you won't notice it much... or at all.

+ Quote Post
Kyzander
post Jul 22 2012, 05:26 AM
Post #8
Breaking Loose
Group Icon

Locking rear diff is necessary! Can help with the big sweepers! It might be just me, but I found that locking the rear diff killed my technical corner game for a little bit until I got used to it.

--------------------
SoSick Motorsports 4ever.

+ Quote Post
techietaichi
post Aug 12 2012, 01:14 AM
Post #9
Amateur Drifter
Group Icon

Sorry for raising a thread on life support, but being a newb myself I had too. Anyways, I'm in the process of putting together components for my very first RC build and gathering as much knowledge as I can along the way. So, locking the rear differential is necessary for drifting...Ok then. I just poked around on you tube to see what methods were out there and came across one that was interesting; Play-Doh. Here's a LINK to the video.

I don't usually "go on the cheap" so to speak, but as I gather parts for this build, for some reason the dollar amount keeps climbing. blink.gif Is this a decent approach or should I just go ahead and spend the cash?

--------------------
Click the pic to see my very 1st RC build

+ Quote Post
MT-DRIFTER
post Aug 14 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #10
Amateur Drifter
Group Icon

Anything you can put in ther to lock themm will work but I would try to stay with something you can change back if you ever decide. I always found a thick silicone worked great and could clean out also it's great to have around in the future and should be in your gear box. ;) I can't remember what I used to use for weight but would start with a 250K and work from there.

--------------------
The one and only Montana Drifter.....

+ Quote Post

Fast Reply Reply to this topic Start new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

· Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 10:18 AM